SoftBank Group Corp. to Establish SoftBank Vision Fund With a strategic partnership with the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia
October 14, 2016
SoftBank Group Corp.
SoftBank Group Corp. (“SBG”) today announced that it will form SoftBank Vision Fund (tentative name) (the “Fund”). The Fund intends to make investments in the technology sector globally. The Fund will be managed in the United Kingdom by a subsidiary of SBG and will deploy capital from SBG and investment partners. The Fund will aim to be one of the world's largest of its kind*.
SBG expects to invest at least USD 25 billion over the next 5 years. SBG has concluded a non-binding memorandum of understanding (“MOU”) on October 12, 2016 with the Public Investment Fund of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (“PIF”), under which PIF will consider investing in the Fund and becoming the lead investment partner, with the potential investment size of up to USD 45 billion over the next five years. In addition, a few large global investors are in active dialogue to join SBG and PIF to participate in this Fund. The overall potential size of the Fund can go up to USD 100 billion.
SBG will use its deep operational expertise and network of portfolio companies in order to add value to the Fund's investments.
His Royal Highness, Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman, Chairman of PIF, commented as follows:
“The Public Investment Fund is focused on achieving attractive long-term financial returns from its investments at home and abroad, as well as supporting the Kingdom's Vision 2030 strategy to develop a diversified economy. We are delighted to sign this MOU with SBG given the long history, established industry relationships and strong investment performance of SBG and Masayoshi Son.”
Masayoshi Son, Chairman & CEO of SoftBank Group Corp., commented on the establishment of the Fund as follows:
“With the establishment of the SoftBank Vision Fund, we will be able to step up investments in technology companies globally. Over the next decade, the SoftBank Vision Fund will be the biggest investor in the technology sector. We will further accelerate the Information Revolution by contributing to its development.”
Rajeev Misra, Head of Strategic Finance, SoftBank Group, is leading the Fund project for SBG. SBG has engaged former Deutsche banker Nizar Al-Bassam and ex-Goldman partner Dalinc Ariburnu for the project. PIF also had its own team of experts engaged.
About the Public Investment Fund (PIF)
The Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund was established in 1971 to provide financing support for projects of strategic significance to the national economy, and its role has evolved to incorporate a number of different areas. These include holding and managing the government's stakes in some of Saudi Arabia's largest and most important blue chip companies. PIF has also set up and managed a number of companies to support innovation, diversification and non-oil sector development within the Kingdom. Furthermore, the institution has been responsible for holding and managing the government's stake in bilateral and multilateral companies abroad as well as investing selectively in a range of other asset classes internationally.
PIF has gone through major restructuring, and had supervision moved from under the Ministry of Finance to the Council of Economic and Development Affairs, led by His Royal Highness Prince Mohammed Bin Salman Bin Abdulaziz, since March 2015. PIF, under the leadership of His Royal Highness, has revised its long term investment strategy to coincide with the country's Vision 2030.
- *Based on SBG research (Comparison made with recent funds under management in the private equity sector that can be confirmed as of October 12, 2016, based on major private equity fund rankings selected and made public by Private Equity International).
- This press release has been prepared for the purpose of announcing to the public certain matters relating to the activities of SoftBank Group Corp. and not for the purpose of soliciting any investment. This press release does not constitute any offer or solicitation to purchase or subscribe for the interests in the Fund.
- This press release does not constitute or form a part of any offer or solicitation to purchase or subscribe for securities in the United States, and interests in the Fund will not be offered or sold in the United States or to, or for the account or benefit of, any U.S. person (as such term is defined in Regulation S under the U.S. Securities Act of 1933).
- SoftBank, the SoftBank name and logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of SoftBank Group Corp. in Japan and other countries.
- Other company, product and service names in this press release are registered trademarks or trademarks of the respective companies.
- Releases, announcements, presentations and other information available from this page and elsewhere on this website were prepared based on information available and views held at the time of preparation and speak only as of the respective dates on which they are filed or used by SoftBank Group Corp. or the applicable group company, as the case may be. Such information is subject to change and may become out-of-date. Such information may also contain forward-looking statements which are by their nature subject to various risks and uncertainties that may cause actual results and future developments to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such statements. Please read legal notices in its entirety prior to viewing any information available on this website.